How to Save Money Tip Day 1: Check out the Library for free entertainment ideas….
Your local library is a great source of free entertainment and resources for the whole family.
Literacy is important- reading opens doors and allows us to imagine ourselves somewhere else.
Have you ever bought a book and realized that it wasn’t what you thought it was? Ever see a magazine while standing in line at the grocery store and you just wanted to read one of the stories? Want to watch a movie or listen to a new cd that is totally not your normal style? Do you need some volunteer experience? Want to join a book club? Are you a new mom and you and your baby need to get out of the house?
There are so many reasons I can suggest checking out what resources are available at your own local library.
Some of the resources may include:
- Use a computer or access the internet
- Access to a wide array of magazines, newspapers, and books
- Access to a variety of dvds, cds, books on tape, and ebooks
- Activities, programs, events, and groups for children, teenagers, adults, and seniors
- Summer programs- reading clubs for kids
- Quiet space for studying or research
- Research (genealogy for example)
- Meeting spaces for groups of people
- Adult or ESL literacy help
- Computer training or help
Some of the reasons to use the library:
- Most services are free
- A few services are low cost for some services like a photocopier
- Lot’s of choice and variety
- Good way to try new types of books or new authors
- Entertainment value
- Be part of the larger community
- Meet and talk to other people (you never know who you might meet)
- Participate in groups
- Learn research skills
- Literacy is a vital skill
- Librarians are a key resource and source of information
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor from